Monday, December 14, 2015

Tree Decor - Wood Slices

A casual remark from a friend got me thinking...and playing.

And this was the result :



My friend commented on how perfect a log, in the bucket of firewood, would be for making wood burning ornaments. It did not take me long to ask hubby to slice the 'log' for me! However I found that the soft center of the wood (Big Leaf Maple) was hard to avoid and the darker areas really bugged me.
So I broke out the stamps and although the soft bits are still visible, I find it less obvious. Of course these pictures show them huge. The actual slices are only 1 7/8" tall (46mm), so in reality you have to look closely to see the imperfect bits.
This mouse image is 1.25" tall. (I touched up the black on the eyes and other parts of the image, after I looked at this picture. Now the lines and details are clear and crisp again)




I stamped them using Stazon ink and did the colouring with colour pencils.




I added a bit of glitter glue to some areas as well and embossing powders with glitter. For the puffy details on the birds' hats I used Tulip Puffy Dimensional Fabric Paint.




I'm very pleased with the results and will be keeping eyes open for more suitable logs for future decor items! It would be good to find slightly larger slices as there are so many images that would work very well for these.

Stamps used are all by Penny Black

The mouse is from Holly Jolly


The robin trio from 'Winter Wonderland'



The hedgehogs are from 'Every Which Way'












1 comment:

Elina said...

What a great idea! And beautifully executed, as always. I hope you don't mind, but I think I'll have to try the idea next year :)